The Department of Educational & Clinical Studies in the College of Education is proud to offer online summer courses for students to earn their Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Endorsement.
Summer Term II
- TESL 751: Theory and Practice for Academic English Language Development
Current philosophies and approaches to second language acquisition and instruction; attention to sociocultural influences.
- TESL 752: Methods and Curriculum for Teaching ELs
Emphasizes evidence-based practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing standards-based EL content instruction and curriculum.
Summer Term III
- TESL 753: TESL Curriculum
Principles of curriculum organization, development and adaptation of TESL curriculum.
- TESL 754: Assessment and Evaluation of ELs
Emphasizes the knowledge and use of a variety of standards-based English language proficiency instruments utilized with English learners. Stresses the use of assessment instruments for identification, placement and demonstration of language growth. Gives special emphasis to the analysis and application of performance-based assessment tools and techniques to inform instruction.
Steps to the Endorsement:
- Apply as a non-degree seeking student via the Graduate College website.
- Register for classes (see schedule above). If you do not meet the prerequisites, complete the prerequisite waiver request.
**Costs can be estimated here.
- Upon the posting of the four courses to your transcript, apply for the endorsement with the Nevada Department of Education.
Questions about the endorsement or curriculum? Contact Dr. Tracy Spies.